Ardagh Glass League Cup



By Stewart McConnell

GUTSY Girvan came from behind to avenge last season's cup defeat against the hosts.

The Super First Division champions looked the more dangerous side in the first half, although Troon had more possession. However a late goal from former Girvan man Steven McCreadie gave the hosts a surprise lead at the break.

Troon forged some good chances in the second period but failed to take them and were made to pay the price.

The first real chance fell to Troon in six minutes when Jack Paterson ran to the edge of the box before shooting narrowly wide.

Girvan threatened in 11 minutes when home goalie Ally McInnes saved at the feet of Robert Patterson.

Girvan missed an absolute sitter in 18 minutes when the ball broke to Patterson six yards out, but with only McInnes to beat, he shot wildly over the bar.

Jack Paterson hit the side netting for Troon from 10 yards in 23 minutes and a minute later a well-directed header from eight yards by Dale Shirkie was saved by Scott Johnstone.

Scott Dinwoodie shot just over the bar from 10 yards for the visitors on the half hour.

Another chance came Girvan's way in 41 minutes when Stephen Auld teed up Marc Cameron, whose strong effort from eight yards was well saved by McInnes.

Troon blasted into the lead right on half-time when a 22-yard free-kick from McCreadie went in off the crossbar.

The hosts continued pressing and in 54 minutes a McCreadie cross into the box glanced narrowly past the post.

Stephen Auld had his shot from the edge of the box well saved by McInnes in 58 minutes.

Girvan should have scored in 70 minutes when a 20-yard rocket from Jack McDowall crashed off the post.

Troon went close in 75 minutes when Fulton fond Ross McCrea, whose 10-yard effort hit the post.

Grvan levelled five minutes from time when Robert Patterson headed home from six yards.

The dream comeback was complete two minutes later when David Jardine's scorching 25-yard free-kick took a slight deflection on its way into the net.