TWO dogs were stung by a lion’s mane jellyfish on Troon beach – their owner is now urging others to be cautious when taking their pets to the shore.

The owner, who asked not to be named, was visiting Troon on Sunday, August 5 when her two canine friends came in contact with the jellyfish.

One of her dogs stood on a ‘giant’ one that was washed up and her paw ‘sank right through it’ 

Her other pooch was stung while retrieving his ball from the waters edge, later causing him to vomit.

Luckily, they both recovered the following day after being given medication – she is now urging other dog owners to be vigilant when walking along the beach.

Lion’s mane jellyfish are also known as the ‘giant jellyfish’ or the ‘hair jelly’ and according to marine website, Oceana, this type of jellyfish is not only the largest jelly species in the world, but they also have a powerful sting that they use to catch their prey.

Anna Newlove, member of the education team at FSC Millport, said: “The best thing to do is to avoid jellyfish when they are washed up.

“They are able to sting even after they have died as stinging cells release their barbs automatically when something comes into contact with them.

“If it has been particularly stormy weather, and there are lots of jellyfish washed up on the beach, it may be safer to keep dogs on their leads so that they are easier to keep away.

“It’s better to leave the jellyfish where they are, as it is very likely the next tide will wash them away, than to try and move them back into the sea.

“If a person is stung, bathe the area in saltwater (not fresh water).

"Brush any spines/tentacles left on the skin away using the edge of a credit card or pick them off with tweezers. 

“You can also soak the area in hot water for at least 30 minutes - this will cause the stinging cells and toxins to break down.”