McBookie Super League Premier Division



TITLE challengers Girvan completed back-to-back wins inside four days as they eased past understrength Shotts.

But manager Peter Leonard is urging the players to keep their feet firmly on the ground.

The game was marred by an injury to a visiting player who suffered a suspected broken leg after falling awkwardly while going up for the ball. He had to be taken by ambulance to hospital and this left the visitors with just 10 men as they travelled with only 11 available players.

It was the visitors who began well and home goalie Scott Johnston tipped a strong shot round the post in three minutes. Then at the other end three minutes later, Jack McDowall had an effort saved by the visiting goalie before in 17 minutes Mark Cameron shot just over the bar from 20 yards.

However the deadlock was broken in 21 minutes when Stephen Auld won a challenge and shot home from 15 yards.

Five minutes later it was 2-0 when James Hilton beat two opponents, won his way into the box and shot round the visiting goalie.

Just before the break goalscorer McDowall shot narrowly wide.

Seven minutes after the break, Johnston made a fine savc to foil Shotts. Four minutes later, Andy Stevenson set up David Jardine to shoot home from 10 yards.

Then in 61 minutes McDowall set up Hilton, who knocked the ball home from 12 yards. Two minutes later it was 4-0, when Cameron won his way into the box and shot home from 12 yards.

Ten minutes from time Shotts pulled a goal back but Girvan held on to win easily.

Boss Peter Leonard said later: "That was an important win for us although the injury was a factor as it left Shotts with 10 men. We are in a good position but nothing has been achieved. We might have to win three of our last four games to have a chance of going up and we must aim to beat Renfrew on Saturday.

GIRVAN: Johnston; Auld, Ballantyne, McCreadie, Mossie, Dinwoodie, Cameron, McDowall, Robertson, Hilton, Jardine, Subs: Stevenson, Reid, Doolan, Murphy, Frame.

* A goal from trialist striker David Cunningham helped Girvan beat Maryhill 1-0 away last Wednesday.